The Education Health and Needs Team provides education for County Durham resident pupils, who cannot attend school for a period of 15 days or more because of ill health. The provision offered is short term to help schools to provide continuity in education whilst a pupil is too unwell to attend school.
The Education Health and Needs Team is a short term provision, it is not an Alternative Provision or a long term solution. If it is likely that a child or young person will be out of education for a long period due to a medical need, further discussions will take place between the school and the Local Authority regarding a long term plan.
Provision offered may include:
- The Pines (Pupils In Need of Educational Support). Sacriston.
- GAP Provision – ‘Group of Anxious Pupil’. Leadgate.
- Education in hospital
- Home education may be available in exceptional circumstances
- YPEG – Young Pregnant Education Group
The provision made available by the EHNT will be determined when a referral for service is received. The provision will be based on the information provided on the medical confirmation document and also through discussions with health practitioners. It will be determined at the planning meeting and reviewed accordingly at subsequent review meetings. Therefore, when determining provision, the following will be taken into account:
- the amount of education a child’s health condition allows them to access
- the age and key stage of the child
- the type and intensity of the provision made
- provision needed to access qualifications that would be normally available in school