Key Stage 1 and 2
Welcome to the Woodlands Primary
The Woodlands Primary has two bases; The Beeches and The Willows.
The Beeches (Ferryhill) caters for Key Stage 1 pupils and The Willows (Langley Park) caters for Key Stage 2 pupils. Referrals to The Woodlands Primary can be made by mainstream schools through the Primary Inclusion Panel.
The aims of our curriculum are:
· To support the academic and social and emotional development of all pupils
· To deliver a creative curriculum that is personalised for the individual child’s needs, is exciting and stimulating, with opportunities for children to become inspired in their own learning
· To provide a broad and balanced curriculum, which will develop the skills, concepts and knowledge necessary for future learning.
- To provide a range of academic and therapeutic interventions to match the needs of all pupils
- To provide a range of opportunities for children to learn outside the classroom
- To promote pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development and prepare all pupils for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of life.
Numeracy and Literacy
Lessons follow the National Curriculum and incorporate opportunities to revisit past learning as well as developing new skills.
In Literacy, confidence in reading, writing, speaking and listening is encouraged throughout the curriculum in order to enable the children to consolidate learning and development. In Key Stage 1, phonics is taught daily through structured lessons and through intervention programmes.
In Numeracy, considerable importance is attached to the children achieving and understanding mathematical processes, concepts and skills and to be able to use these strategies with confidence. Support is given to address misconceptions from prior learning.
To enable the acquisition of a systematic, scientific approach to learning, developing useful knowledge, skills and attitudes about the world in which we live. Science experience is presented to the children in a practical, relevant context. Systematic inquiry, analysis of problems, formation of ideas, their testing and modification are encouraged through project work, designed to arouse the children’s natural curiosity. Where appropriate, the outdoors is utilised to support learning.
Pupils can access a range of therapeutic interventions to support their emotional wellbeing and mental health. These include Theraplay, Lego therapy, Draw and Talk Therapy, Relax Kids, Zippy’s Friends and specific interventions from ‘Hamish and Milo’.
The Woodlands Primary have a therapy dog called Bruno. He loves to listen to the children read and have cuddles.
An exciting new nurture classroom is currently under development. We are looking forward to telling you more soon!
Primary National Tests
The Woodlands Primary will support the pupil’s mainstream school with the completion of any national tests.
Mainstream schools can refer to the Primary Inclusion Panel for ‘Outreach Support’. The outreach team work within a pupil’s mainstream school to offer advice, support and interventions for pupils displaying challenging behaviour. Please refer to the Promoting Positive Behaviour Document for further information.
The Woodlands Primary Gallery
Please view our Gallery to see our work and activities.